Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Back in the Saddle Again

The winter has not been kind to my mountain biking urges. The trails have been very wet and mucky and I just didn't feel like riding pavement on the W&OD. Maybe if I had a road bike that opinion would be different. Luckily I have been fairly active otherwise with Ultimate Frisbee, an occasional run and a good romp through the mud around Lake Fairfax with Georgina a couple of weeks ago. So my overall fitness level (which personally I thinks sucks) has not suffered too much during my absence.
So last night I committed myself to getting back to the Tuesday Night Ride habit at Wakefield Park in Annandale, VA. I got there almost an hour early and took a lap around the phase II section while it was still light. That section is a lot of fun with new rollercoaster style hills. All the trails were in great shape - smooth and fast.
The group was pretty big tonight for a cold 'winter' night ride, with about 5-8 people in the three groups (casual, moderate [lung burning], fast [ridiculously gut wrenching]). The weather was great - slightly crisp. I just wore a long sleeve poly top and my MORE tee-shirt over it with my shorts and full-finger gloves. I was the only one without full leg coverings which probably does not surprise anyone. The only thing I was wishing for, about an hour into the ride, was a headband. I started getting a headache from my forehead and ears being cold. Other than that, it was perfect.
I actually did better than I thought I would. Craig led us around the race course, phase II, creek trail, the bowl, creek trail in reverse, and once more through phase II. It was about an hour and a half and close to 12 miles.

Great Stuff!

Comments on "Back in the Saddle Again"

 

post a comment