Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Backpacking in to Duck Lake

For the second year in a row, a group of us backpacked into Duck Lake in the high Uinta Mountiains.

We started by Trial Lake then hiked about 4-1/2 miles into Duck Lake.

This time, my dad and I decided to try walking poles.

I had purchased some poles for snowshoeing and all the reviews mentioned how great they are for backpacking.

I would have to agree.

They helped out a lot more than I thought they ever would.

Once we figured out the right movements it was really quite beneficial, both for forward propulsion and a stabilization.

Dad once again documented every nuance of the trip in his trusty journal and took a few pictures (he almost left his camera at home!)

I, of course, took a few pictures.

And the rest of the group just fished, fished, fished.

This year the total number of fish caught was considerably less than last year.

Once again I brought my hammock to sleep in and I also brought a bivy to try out.

The bivy was quite a bit tighter and more constraining than I like, but it worked pretty well.

Marv was pretty excited that He was able to sucker Dad and I into two games of Fruit Salad. The rest of the boys knew better and adamantly refused to play. It wasn't that bad of card game even though we lost quite terribly.

Dad found himself a walking stick that that carved some rings and other designs.

This years trip was one day shorter than last year but it was still a blast.

I really enjoy being out amongst the nature and soaking it all in.

There are plenty more pictures to be found here.

Comments on "Backpacking in to Duck Lake"

 

Blogger Cami said ... (Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:04:00 PM) : 

Great pictures! You're star trails look better than any that I've done.

 

post a comment