Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bald Eagles at Farmington Bay

I found a few photography groups in the SLC area that had some interesting activities coming up.

The first one that I decided to act on was Photographix which is a group based in Davis County (North of Salt Lake).

They were having a field trip to Farmington Bay off of the Great Salt Lake that I decided I would join in.

The reason?

Bald Eagles.

There were at least twenty eagles in the area that we were watching.

But most of them were just a bit too far away on the ice.

I was having major lens envy as I looked to my left and right at thousands and thousands of dollars worth of camera gear.

We spent a bunch of time trying to staying warm as we waited for the sun to rise and the eagles to do something interesting.

The seagulls would catch a fish then an eagle or two would chase down the seagull and steal his catch.

Then the eagles would intimidate each other until the winner escaped with his stolen breakfast across the frozen bay.

I had to crop a lot the shots pretty severely in order to focus on the birds instead of the vast nothingness.

Therefore the quality of pictures is not very great.

Again, more lens envy.

The one I would like to get is only $5,800.

I'll be lucky if I can save up for the $1,400 alternate.

Dare to dream.

Here are some more pictures of the birds at Farmington Bay.

Comments on "Bald Eagles at Farmington Bay"

 

Blogger Cami said ... (Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:49:00 PM) : 

You got some really great ones. I think I like the one of the seagull in flight the best. The contrast of the blue background is cool.

 

Blogger Richard said ... (Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:05:00 AM) : 

Great shots.

 

post a comment