Thursday, April 17, 2008

Jill+ Substitute Teaching = Craziness

So, I guess I should start by saying that the job front continues onward. I am still making phone calls, searching for jobs online, applying for jobs and interviewing for jobs. I continue to be depressed that I have not found a positive match and am attempting to accept the low pay salaries they are offering. I can only wish for something better for so much longer.

While I continue that madness I am filling my days substitute teaching in the Jordan School district. Lets start with sharing some positives and negatives to this situation.

Positives:
1. Great schedule, typically I am there at 7:30 and leave before 3:00. Which includes a 1/2
hour lunch.
2. Not too much responsibility, just need to supervise and prevent any major chaos.
3. I am able to get out of the house and earn a little bit of income.
4. I can choose daily if I want/ can work or not.
5. The kids can be enjoyable and the school environment can be fun. Brings back memories.

Negatives:
1. Substitute- yeah we all know the feelings that word brings. The kids havent changed. I do have to brag and state that several classes have stated " you are the best substitute ever". Why does that make me feel like I am doing something wrong?
2. There is always a sense of surprise as to where am I working and which class will I have.
3. You cant have much power or influence when the kids know they may never see you again.
4. I often have that new kid feeling as I enter a school i have never been in before. It isnt so much fun asking the students where my classroom is. These school can be pretty complex.

So, its pretty even and I have to say there haven't been too many bad days, but to highlight a few special moments;

Shouting "what the hell" to a few male students who decided to start a fire with newspaper in the back of art class.
Allowing a student to use the restroom and not realizing until the end of class when another student informed me that first student never came back.
Asking the students "are you so incompetent you cant sit still and read a book?"
and my favorite day so far.....
I subbed for a middle school PE class where the following all happened in one day. Two broken ceiling lights, twisted ankle, smashed fingers, bloody nose, and a fight between two boys resulting in them going to the principles office.

Does that reflect negatively on me? LOL.

So, not too many negatives and a beneficial alternative in the interim. I have to give a shout out to my sister Robyn for giving me the suggestion. Thanks Robyn.

Anyone have any other job suggestions?

Comments on "Jill+ Substitute Teaching = Craziness"

 

Blogger Marshall Nair said ... (Friday, April 18, 2008 8:08:00 AM) : 

Jill,

I am sorry that you are frustrated. I am sure that you are a great substitute teacher. I have seen you work with pretty difficult kids, so I know you up for it. I think it is great that you are the favorite substitute.

 

Blogger Kerry and Dave said ... (Monday, April 28, 2008 7:41:00 PM) : 

Okay, first of all, I have to say that I love your first story! That is so funny! And I can somewhat relate on the "substitute" thing. I've been picking up extra shifts over the last few months at various Baltimore hospitals that need some extra help and I always feel like I'm wandering around like a lost puppy. Although, I can say I haven't had any patients try and start a fire yet!

 

post a comment