Thursday, June 05, 2008

Maya's Dance Competition

I am finally catching up on long lost posts. I started this one but it took me a long time to go through the pictures and of course life got in the way.

Back on April 26th! Maya had her first dance competition. She has been taking a dance class at the before/after school place that she goes to, The Winner School. Apparently they really get into the whole competition scene which I guess is quite a big deal.

This competition was the Dance America Nationals which sounds pretty official and and sure seemed like it was a big deal, but I really don't have any clue. There were hundreds of competitors and hundreds more spectators at the Juan Diego High School in Draper all day long.

Once again I viewed this as another challenging environment to figure out how take a decent picture. A dark auditorium with random bright spots on the stage, fast moving dancers and no flashes allowed is most definitely a challenge.

Why is it that the best pictures are not the ones of my daughter?

Maya's dance was at the beginning of the morning but we almost missed it since we were in the gym instead of the auditorium. Luckily Maya's dance instructor recognized Emily before it was too late.

Maya had been threatening the night before not to dance at all. Some how she talked it over with Emily and decided that she would at least go and decide once she was there. She worked up her courage and did a great job.

Afterward we went to breakfast with her and Emily at Johanna's Kitchen. MMMMmmmmm Scones! Then we decided to kill some time before the Awards Ceremony by going to Thanksgiving Point and seeing the baby animals. Stay tuned for that post...

The awards ceremony was confusing and anticlimactic. I think Maya's group won 2nd place in their category and their school won two big (4 foot tall) trophies for something!

I was amazed at all the production, fuss, and Money! that goes into this stuff. I'm hoping she decides that soccer or lacrosse would be funner that this expensive 'sport'.

I guess I can't complain too much, but I'm selfish! I want my money spent on my expensive 'sports'!

Here are the rest of the Dancing Pictures.

Comments on "Maya's Dance Competition"

 

Blogger Mike and Brittany said ... (Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:40:00 PM) : 

I love these pictures, so very professional. Maya looks adorable.

 

Blogger cami said ... (Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:26:00 PM) : 

I can't get over how old she is! And you did a great job with the pictures. so clear. Did you use a tripod? And what lens were you using?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:41:00 PM) : 

They were taken hand-held with my 70-300mm lens. I don't remember the other specifics as I was trying a lot of different settings. I took off the auto white-balance. I know that on the next dance pictures that I will post (sometime) that I did shutter priority and got pretty good results.

 

Blogger tara said ... (Thursday, July 03, 2008 5:54:00 PM) : 

there are some really great shots here!

 

post a comment