Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bike Ride to the Pond

A couple of Saturday's ago I finally got my Single-Speed mountain bike working again. It really just needed a new tube but for some reason I just never made it to the bike shop.

So after getting it all fixed I figured I should take it for a spin. I grabbed my camera and headed down to the Jordan River walk way then rode South to the ponds. I stopped and took a few pictures of the dragon flies at the first pond then it was off to the second pond.

I hopped on the bike and short-cutted the corner across a patch of dried weeds then back onto the path. Immediately I noticed that I picked up some uninvited guests. I pulled out about 10 - 20 bull head stickers out of each tire. Several of the extractions were followed by a faint hissing sound.

Great! Brand new tubes already punctured.

I rode back home as quick as my fat, out-of-shape body could manage. Luckily I was able to cut through and came home the back way. The last hill was a killer though. Having only one gear (hence the Single-Speed) I was trying to stand up and grind my way up the hill. By this time the tires were getting quite soft and my front tire kept wanting to wash-out.

Amazingly, I made it all the way back before both tires went completely flat! I still have not tackled the challenge of removing the remaining thorns and patching the tubes (if they are not too riddled with holes).

Here are the rest of the pictures from the pond.

Comments on "Bike Ride to the Pond"

 

post a comment